Read a book!
The Mass. Center for the Book has chosen a reading theme for each month of 2024. To participate in the challenge, read at least one book each month that fits the theme.
Not sure what to read? Northeastern librarians have put together a handy suggested reading list in OverDrive (yes, ebooks and audiobooks count, too!). If you’re on the Boston campus, you can also stop by our monthly tabling events in the Snell Library lobby to check out a selection of on-theme print books—and pick up some great Reading Challenge swag!
Here are the themes for the year:
- January: A book you read years ago that you may feel differently about now
- February: A book with a color in the title
- March: A book whose protagonist has a different culture or lifestyle from you
- April: A book about nature, the environment, or climate change
- May: A graphic novel
- June: A book that inspired a film or television series
- July: A book by an author born outside the United States
- August: A book whose title starts with the same letter as your birthday month
- September: A debut book by a Massachusetts author
- October: A book about a time in history you’d like to know more about
- November: A relaxing, soul-soothing book
- December: A well-reviewed book in your least favorite genre
Tell us about it!
Once you’ve read your book, just fill out a quick questionnaire on the library website. Library staff will draw one name each month to win a prize!
Want more chances to win? Make sure you also complete the submission form on the Mass. Center for the Book website! They’ll be doing monthly drawings and prize giveaways all year.
From Northeastern University Library
Prizes for Northeastern students, faculty, and staff will vary by month, but may include:
- gift cards to local bookstores
- a stocked study room during finals week for Boston campus students
- finals week care packages for students at global campuses
- Northeastern University Library swag
All Northeastern students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to participate in the challenge, even if you’re not based at the Boston campus.
From Mass. Center for the Book
Readers who log their reading on the Mass. Center for the Book website also have the opportunity to win additional prizes! From the MBC website:
- Dedicated readers will be invited to a year-end celebration hosted by Mass. Center for the Book.
- If you read a book in each of the 12 months, you will be entered in a drawing to win 1 of 2 totes filled with books.
- New this year! We will be drawing two names on the last day of each month to win a free book! Make sure you get those entries in before the end of the month!
You can find more information on the Northeastern Library’s 2024 Reading Challenge page. We look forward to hearing about your reading journey!